Parylene provides superior environmental protection for next generation electronics.
Think of an industry and electronics are sure to play a critical role in its success. Today’s electronics offer robust, leading-edge functionality in ever smaller and more compact packages. Further, these technologically dense devices are expected to operate in harsher and more complex environments than ever before. Fortunately, parylene coatings offer engineers a powerful tool in addressing both macro trends in electronics – miniaturization and use extension – with one exceptional ultra-thin conformal coating.
Parylene provides electronics manufacturers reliable, effective barrier protection against moisture, gases, solvents, molds and corrosives while adding nearly no mass or weight to their devices. Powerful yet gentle, parylene films offer exceptional protection without a cure phase or thermal stresses of any kind; critical for the operational integrity of today’s highly delicate, miniaturized electronic assemblies. Learn more about what parylene is and how it works.
- Consumer Electronics Waterproofing
- Printed circuit boards
- IoT devices
- Electronic assemblies
- Micro electro mechanical systems
- Flex circuits
Making Electronics Waterproof
Devices are getting smaller and more complex. Consumers want electronics to go everywhere and demand longer product lifetimes. From waterproofing an iPhone to ruggedizing an IoT connected sensor, leading products use the best technology to ensure reliability.
There are a number of options for coating technologies, and the best option depends on the protection required. Common conformal coatings include:
- Acrylic, silicone or urethane coatings that are applied with a spray or dip. The level of protection depends on the coating selection and thickness.
- Fluorocarbon Conformal Coatings often called “Nano” Coatings. These coatings create a water-repellent, hydrophobic surface that is designed to prevent damage from quick exposure.
Parylene widely outperforms other coatings but it has historically been underutilized in consumer devices because of concerns around cost and high-volume throughput. VSi simplifies parylene by developing turn-key, streamlined solutions. With VSi’s POD parylene coating systems, parylene coating can be installed in-line on factory floors.
- Outstanding barrier protection
- Up to 90% lighter and thiner compared to spray and dip coatings
- Room temperature deposition
- High temperature variants available
- No curring or thermal stresses
- No solvents
- Truly conformal
- Unmatched penetration in holes and crevices